Saturday, March 10, 2012

Above the Depths

My dad used to pick me up after school in fifth grade to take me fishing for Northerns.  I always wanted to catch a big one.  I loved that time with my dad.  We would sit on the shore and fish from upside down plastic buckets.  I'd take his instruction.  I'd watch my bobber.  I'd sit and wait.  And sometimes I'd get a bite.  Sometimes we would just sit.  Some days there was action.  Some days---nada.  Little did I know that one day I would be fishing in the ocean---deep sea fishing.

I've been out on the ocean four different times.  Three times on a ferry to Catalina Island for ResLife training and once on a boat near Margarita Island, Venezuela.  Each time I've been seasick.  Very seasick.  The ocean does something different to me than a lake does.  The waves and the motion really do me in.  So---when I got the invite to fish on the ocean I started praying.  I really wanted to enjoy this experience.  And learn how they do it here.  And of course, catch some fish.  So---I researched seasickness.  Of course.  Hello...what is the internet for?  So, I found a couple of natural remedies...ginger...lots of it.  And Joe---one of the guys I was fishing with offered me Bonine---a pill that was supposed to work magic.  Most of all---I prayed. 

After a crazy week, with an injured shin and all---I woke myself up at 4am and headed to the boat.  I took the Bonine as I was supposed to.  And we were off.  Coffee and fishing license in hand.  As the boat left the harbor, the view was stunning.  I love the water...I really do.  I was ready for this.  No puking in the toilet this time, please God.  Funny how those who love the water can get so sick on it.  The first half hour of boat movement was key.  I stood watching the horizon as we moved away from land----it was gorgeous.  Those were some special moments with the Lord.  Loved seeing the mountain skyline as the sun rose.  It rained a lot the week before----and it was a CLEAR day.

The seas were calm.

I was talking to God.  And thinking about fishing.

And of course Bible stories about fish and fishing.

And about walking on water.

About courage.

About being rocked back and forth by waves.

About the depths of the sea (the ocean)----that are so often described in the Psalms.

About the depths of me---the sea within---my own abyss.

And there was

deep

peace.

My prayers were answered.  This time was different.  And I was thankful in a new way---because I knew how it could have been.  I did not get seasick for the first time in my life on the ocean!!  Whooo hooooo!  And I caught my limit of fish!  And it was a blast.

There were a few times in the day when I just went and sat by myself on the boat.  And looked around.  And was aware that I was floating---on a boat---on the ocean.  Rocking back and forth.  On a tide controlled by God.  In the middle of His Creation.  Far from land.  I felt a part of it all.

This time was different.
I am different.
As I prayed in quiet moments on that day---
God was near my side.
I was grounded.
Not sick.
Fully aware
of an important answered prayer.
Floating above
the depths
of the sea. 


No comments: