Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Enjoying the Fullness of Life and Seeing Beauty

Oh my goodness.  Paris is beautiful.  Sorry it's been a few days---have been busy with Christmas in Spain---and then I flew to Paris and had to navigate myself to the place I was staying and find my way around this city to get settled.  It's been a lot to learn.  My feet hurt.  My eyes have been amazed at what is here.  I'm taking it all in.  Each day.  There is so much to be learned from traveling.  Honestly.  You learn about yourself.  You learn about how others live.  You gain new perspective.  You are challenged.  You see beauty in so many different aspects of life.  You see struggle.  I'm still trying to figure out how I would fully explain Paris.  I'm mulling it over. One thing is for sure....it is beautiful in the day and at night.  It's interesting.  It feels like a totally different city by day and by night---both have a unique feel and atmosphere.  Another thing...art abounds here.  I love that.  People love culture here.  It's a super international city with a huge mix of people.  Love that, too.  People like to learn here.  They respect history.  I see people reading books on the Metro all the time.  Intense books--like The Metamorphosis.  Bookstands line the Seine River.  People paint in the streets.  Museums fill the city.  People dress well--with their own funky fashion sense.  The food is top notch.  There is so much to tell and so much to experience.  A few of my favorite things that stick out to me right now about this city:  being here is a fully aesthetic experience---you can and should experience Paris with all of your senses.  I'm trying to.  This city and the people (just like Spain and Italy) intend to fully experience and ENJOY life and take it in...and that means slowing down to give yourself a chance to take in the moment, the people you're with, and see what is around you----and spend time enjoying what they add to your life in the moment.  It's easy to be rushed in life.  I am always reminded when I come here that it is possible to slow down in the midst of the hustle and bustle.  And you should.  Here you do that with a glass of wine (which is cheaper than soda) or a café cremé or a beer or you go for a walk or you sit on a bench and watch the Seine River flow.  Like I said, I'm taking it in.  Wondering and knowing that God had a purpose in bringing me here.  I think I know some of the why's but I'm still asking questions...and figuring it out along the way.  I'll write more tomorrow.  Bon jour. 







2 comments:

Shannon said...

love your purple hat, and your red hat, and all that purple and red mean to you :) i am also in LOVE with that night shot of the eiffel tower! amazing chare.

Charity Marie said...

Shan! Thanks friend! I'm taking SO many photos and taking this all in! Great experience so far! You would love it here! Purple and red! I know...not a surprise that I'm wearing those colors...HERE! Yesterday when I walked into Notre Dame there were tons of RED and PURPLE flowers surrounding the Nativity Scene. Powerful moment for me. See you when I get back! Remember----you get one of my photos for your bday gift! Hugs!