>>Reflection on Photo Session with Shannon May 2011<<
I finally did it.
A photo session with Shannon.
I didn’t know what would come of it---but I knew I was supposed to do
it. I was curious to see what
would happen. I knew the timing
was right. Even though in some
ways the timing seemed all wrong.
I wasn’t in the best place ever in life. I had a lot of questions. But, I had a sense that God had something for me in this
experience. He wanted me to see
something that I’d never seen in myself.
After talking with Shannon, she suggested we do the shoot in
the place I lived---my home. I
wasn’t sure about this initially, because we were in the process of moving, and
parts of the home were totally empty.
Nothing on the walls---no decoration. I learned that it’s not about the location. It’s all about the life of the person
in the photo. And, taking the
photos in my home was important.
It’s where I was at in life.
At the time.
I prepped for the session and found clothes that said,
“Charity.” They expressed me. I wore a special necklace that my
sisters gave me. I wore my
favorite colors. I wore my comfy
worn jeans. I felt like taking a
risk---and I left my hair wavy instead of straightening it. That was me. And it felt right.
I wanted to give Shannon---me.
She arrived at the house and we did some focusing exercises before we started to allow me to rest and find a comfortable space to share my story. I loved it. Focus is important to me. So is living in the present moment. So is sharing the truth and beauty of my unique story. We started in my room.
She arrived at the house and we did some focusing exercises before we started to allow me to rest and find a comfortable space to share my story. I loved it. Focus is important to me. So is living in the present moment. So is sharing the truth and beauty of my unique story. We started in my room.
I did not know what to expect. I’m a photographer myself, and I love taking photos of
others---but this time I was the subject.
It felt vulnerable to be on the other side of the lens. So good for me to realize. It felt
revealing and a little risky. I
learned that it’s important to put yourself out there even if it seems a bit
uncomfortable. You find pieces of
yourself along the way. And you
also experience that you’re not alone.
Little by little I shared pieces of my life, my heart, my experiences,
life changing moments, pain, and times that God has met me. It was powerful to do what was kind of
like a “conversational photography” session. Shannon is easy to share with it. She gets it.
She believes in the power of transformation. She sees it---and she captures it.
I am a spiritual director. I have been educated and trained to listen and observe
movement in people’s life stories.
Through this experience, I was able to see that in ways, a photographer
like Shannon is like a spiritual director. She takes in a story, your heart, a moment, a person’s appearance, your internal world and
everything that makes up a personality---and she sees----and she is able to
show you who you are in images.
At the end of my session, I felt a little naked---because I
really went there. But, something
else emerged during that time---courage.
During parts of the session,
I had to look at myself in a mirror while she shot photos. For like 10 minutes. How often do we just sit and look at
ourselves in a mirror? And truly
admire what we see? Powerful.
The most memorable part of my time with Shannon was towards
the end of the shoot. She asked
what song might describe me and where I was at in life. Funny, the day before I was just
thinking as I was driving in my car and listening to the radio---which musician
I would be most like. I love
music. Always have. I shared that I would probably be most
like Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, or Alicia Keys deep in my soul. Nice! There it was.
More of the real me coming out.
And then she put it on the table.
How would you feel about just putting some of their music on and
dancing, Charity? And I responded
instantly. Totally. So there I was in my living room
dancing to J. Lo. Twirling,
shaking the hips, laughing, and smiling—free as can be. And she got it. That felt very risky. Don’t know if I’ve ever danced alone in
front of someone while they were taking pictures of me. Definitely not something I'd normally do. It pushed me. But—the
important thing is I went there. I
allowed someone to really see me. I
allowed myself to be free. And
alive.
After she left I debriefed in my journal. I felt totally vulnerable, but at the top of the page I wrote---"COURAGEOUS." She sent me the photos in a few days.
I loved seeing the photos. I was totally surprised and taken by what she saw. Shannon showed me parts of me through images that I’ve never
seen. God used these images
powerfully. They reflect to me the
truth of who I am. I see a
distinct light in my eyes that communicates something very important to
me. Many of my favorites are not
even of my face. Interesting. And I believe that is what God had for
me to see---an all encompassing beauty—that is me. She also took photos of my hands and my paintings and my wrinkles and my hips and my laughter and joy. I am an artist. My hands are important. She also took candid shots of me
talking and just sitting in peace with my eyes closed. I remember the parts of my story that I
was sharing as I look back on these photos---and they are a reminder to me of
what has made me who I am today.
This session was a gift. It
revealed to me that beauty is not necessarily what I’ve always thought it
was. Shannon showed me through
photos of myself that story and light and beauty and life are abundantly present in me---and I
must let them shine.
Here is a slideshow that Shannon put together of some of the images from the shoot:
http://shannonleith.com/darkroom/share/?n=charity
And she gave me ten images printed on awesome hard cards---a great keepsake!
Shannon has now launched a new business! She now does SHINE sessions. You can get more information here and this is Shan's story:
http://shannonleith.com/2011/11/the_story_behind_shine.html
AND if you have any questions---I'd love to talk to you to tell you more.
And she gave me ten images printed on awesome hard cards---a great keepsake!
Shannon has now launched a new business! She now does SHINE sessions. You can get more information here and this is Shan's story:
http://shannonleith.com/2011/11/the_story_behind_shine.html
AND if you have any questions---I'd love to talk to you to tell you more.











1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this Chare!
Post a Comment