Sunday, August 07, 2011

Editing the Raw Data

Today I spent close to six hours editing over 500 photos. For those of you who've never edited photos--it is quite the job. It takes a lot of time and energy and thought. I so respect photographers at this point, because I am gradually learning that it takes more than talent to produce a great photo. It is a process that mixes creativity and science. I'm learning the science part. And, I'm totally loving it.

About three months ago I started shooting all photos RAW. It has been a personal challenge to me to not let the camera do all the work. I have to be thinking when I take shots and set them up. It's been such a cool learning experience. Not every shot turns out, but I learn what to do differently the next time. And, it gives me a chance to edit the photo from the raw data.

Here is a good explanation of RAW:

Most digital cameras process and compress the pictures you take immediately after capturing the image. This can be helpful, as it keeps the file sizes low (using JPEG compression) and takes care of color correction, including white-balance, tint, and exposure, so you don't have to. However, some people, such as professional photographers, prefer to have more control over how each image is processed. Therefore, many high-end cameras have the ability to shoot in RAW mode. This mode does not compress the images at all and leaves them completely unprocessed.

Because Camera RAW files are uncompressed, they take up more space than typical JPEG images. In fact, RAW files often require 2 to 3 times more space for each image captured. So, you'll want to have an extra-large memory card in your camera if you plan on shooting in RAW mode. But since RAW photos are not compressed, you maintain the full quality of each image. This can make a noticeable difference when printing images, especially for large prints.

Camera RAW files are also unprocessed, meaning all the photo processing is done on the computer. It is like taking a film negative to a dark room to be developed. The RAW file is the negative and the computer serves as the dark room. With a RAW file, you have complete control over the temperature adjustments (for white-balance), tint, hue, and exposure. However, since Camera RAW files are not typical images, most image-viewing programs will not open them. Therefore, most camera companies include Camera RAW editing software with their high-end cameras. These programs allow you to open RAW files, do the necessary processing, and save them in common image formats such as bitmap, TIFF, and JPEG.



So, today I was looking at photos and making colors pop, whites balance, light shine, etc. It occurred to me when I was doing this that the editing function is cool...and don't get me wrong...I love it...but some of the photos were really awesome AS IS. I loved those. The photos taken in the evening hours right before sunset had the very best color and lighting. Lighting. This is an interesting concept for me these days. As I study color (from painting and from just noticing it more in the world), it intrigues me. Lighting makes it and breaks it in ways.

I'm glad that I have an interest in learning more about photography. It is my side "thing." I am definitely learning a ton more. There are also great challenges in this all for me. I am kind of teaching myself as I go along. Kind of an adventure. Anyways, I love finishing photo projects. And right now, I just finished. Onto the next project---some writing!

A few of my favorites from today...they show the beautiful BLUES and GREENS of Northern Minnesota!!!












No comments: