Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Few Summer Faves

OK. Today's post will be short and sweet. I got a massage today and I'm crashing, because I feel so relaxed. So in order to get this post in for today, I thought I'd share with you a few summer finds for healthy foods.

Sometimes the summer heat gets to me and I just feel run down and tired. I'm trying to battle that this summer with regular workouts, good rest at night, significant planned down times for myself to refuel, upping my water intake, and eating as healthy as I can.

Two foods I've fallen in love with this summer:

1. Mangoes. They are absolutely delicious as a dessert or a snack. They help me when I just feel like something sweet. I've learned that mangoes are one of the best fruits for you because of their nutritional value. They contain antioxidants and reduce the risk of cancer. They are high in iron--all you women out there who are iron deficient--go get some mangoes! This fruit also is high in Vitamin C. The Vitamin A that you get from a mango can help your pores and it promotes smooth skin with a healthy shine. Mangoes also have digestive enzymes which help to break down proteins and aid digestion...they actually combat acidity in your stomach. Mangoes first caught my attention in a Thai restaurant when I ordered a dessert called Mango Sticky Rice. I've cut out the rice and the sweetened condensed milk from that dessert--and am sticking with the mango by itself as a healthy choice this summer. Yum!

2. Wild Arugula. Wow! I absolutely positively love this stuff. We've had it in salads a few times at the house. Hands down. Good stuff. It makes me WANT to eat a salad! That's pretty awesome. Try some. You can get it at the grocery store near pre packaged lettuce. We like to get ours at Trader Joe's and it's called "Wild Arugula" in a blue bag. We also like to mix up a fantabulous dressing for it. Use a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper. Tasty stuff. It makes me want to take a salad to work and eat it for lunch. Seriously.

OK...now...time for bed.

No comments: