Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Snake Eyes



Superheroes. Comic book characters. Action figures. A fictional world I haven't fully known until now. I've always liked Wonder Woman, because I grew up with her. And, I was introduced to the Young Avengers and the Avengers: Children's Crusade when I sat next to the writer, Allan Heinberg (who also has written Wonder Woman and is working on a play called Batman Live right now in the UK), on a plane back from NYC in January of this year. All of a sudden, I was intrigued. He is a phenomenal writer and has won many awards and was a super interesting man to have a six hour coast to coast conversation with on a Virgin America flight. Probably the coolest and most informative flight I've ever taken. He was actually writing a script right next to me for an upcoming movie. I began to understand the world of superheroes is full of creativity and imagination with so many parallels to the everyday experience of humans--embellished a little perhaps--but still--there is something we can relate to that draws us in to the story and the characters. Now I live in a home with young boys, and this imaginary world has taken on a whole new level of meaning and understanding. I'm sure you'll be seeing more blogs on superheroes etc. in the near future, because I'm super interested to learn more. But for today, let's get to know Snake Eyes. Yes, there is a character named Snake Eyes. And he actually is one of the most popular and well known and liked G.I. Joe characters.

I didn't know about Snake Eyes until two weeks ago. Three days in a row I woke up, sat down at the breakfast table, and asked three year old Emily, "Did you sleep good last night? What did you dream about?" Each morning she answered me, "I dreamed about Snake Eyes." I thought to myself, "Who is this Snake Eyes that she is talking about?" Then she introduced me to "the guys." She carries four figurines around with her and she also sleeps with them at night. She calls them, "the guys" and they consist of Iron Man, Thing, Snake Eyes, and a little girl she calls, "sister." I was quickly realizing how a little girl's life is different when she has brothers. Her two brothers, Elias and Emilio, own many figurines and know the comic book stories behind every one. It's really quite amazing to me.

Emily loves Snake Eyes. I asked her what she likes most about him, and she said..."I like his weapons. He has a sword and bombs." Right. Makes total sense. Weapons.

Today I asked her oldest brother, Elias, more about Snake Eyes and I found out that his uncle has been giving him G.I. Joe figurines since he was one. So, they have been a part of his life. I've noticed that he LOVES the world of superheroes and he is super knowledgeable of all their stories. That is a cool thing. Stories and character are important. So is imagination. Elias told me some of the facts about Snake Eye's history and explained the Joes and the Cobras. Interesting. Elias said, "He is a man who was in an accident who now wears a mask because he doesn't want anyone to see his scars or know who he really is." He also commented, "He can't speak, because he doesn't have a voice." That struck me.

It also seems that the guys I work with in IT know a thing or two about Snake Eyes. Today I threw his name out on the table and the commentary began. "He's a ninja!", someone shouted out. "He's got a sword!", someone else said. They all began their recollection of Snake Eyes and G.I. Joe stories. I was kind of amazed. And at the same time--not surprised. They were all boys at one time, too. And most of them were just at the right age when G.I. Joe came out in the early 80's.

Things are starting to make more sense these days. Of course boys want to play with action figures and heroes--it is such a part of the image of man--who God made them to be. Of course they like action. Of course they like battle. Of course there is a part of them that relates in some way to good and evil. Of course they like weapons. Of course they think specially trained ninjas are the coolest thing ever. Of course they want to save the day. Of course they understand adversity and desire to overcome. And of course, their imaginations love to run wild and connect with the storyteller. They are able to go there. It is a world they know.

I love that.

So, I decided to brush up a little more on Snake Eye's fictional character tonight, and this is what I found on a few different websites:

Snake Eyes is a fictional character from G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, a line of military-themed toys created by Hasbro. The character is one of the original members of the fictional team and toy line. He is a major character in the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comic book series and animated series. He has also appeared in G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, appearing in both the animated series and comic book. He has also recently been a central protagonist in G.I. Joe: Renegades. He is most known for his rivalry with Storm Shadow.

Back in 1986, G.I. Joe creator Larry Hama stated Snake Eyes was the most successful character he'd created, believing this is because his mysterious appearance and persona means "he becomes a universal blank slate for projection of fantasy for anybody."


Snake Eyes Facts:
Affiliation: G.I. Joe
Specialty: Commando
Covert Mission: Specialist
File name: Classified
Birthplace: Classified
SN: Classified
Rank: E-8 Master Sergeant
Primary MOS: Infantry
Secondary MOS: Hand-to-hand combat instructor
Subgroups: Ninja Force
Shadow Ninjas
Year introduced: 1982

Snake Eyes is the code name of a member of the G.I. Joe team. Much of his history and information, including his real name, place of birth, as well as almost everything else about him, have remained classified throughout all depictions of his origin. All that is known for certain about his military standing is his rank/grade (originally U.S. Army Sergeant/E-5 and eventually reaching Master Sergeant/E-8), has undergone Drill Sergeant training, and is a former U.S. Army Special Forces Delta Operator. He is also the team's resident hand to hand combat instructor. Very little else about his past has been revealed. He was originally billed by Hasbro Toys in 1982 as a Commando, but by 1984, in the pages of Marvel Comics, it became clear that he was also a full-fledged ninja master.

In every version of his story, Snake Eyes is quiet in his movements and is a swift and deadly master of multiple martial arts. He is an expert in the use of the ninjatō and spike-knuckled trench knives (which he collects). He usually carries them in pairs but often uses only one. He is equally qualified with and willing to use standard weapons like firearms and explosives. Making him even more dangerous is that he rarely relies on one set of weapons to the exclusion of others. For instance, in one mission, Snake Eyes is confronted by a ninja with a pair of sai and he defeats him by simply throwing a standard grenade at him, while in a later mission, he confronted and defeated several heavily armed enemies with just a pair of Butterfly swords. Snake Eyes did give up much of his ninja training in later issues of the G.I. Joe America's Elite comic series.

In keeping with his quiet personality, Snake Eyes usually wears what could perhaps best be described as a black "military ninja" bodysuit, along with a balaclava and visor to cover his face, which was disfigured in a helicopter explosion. Since then, Snake Eyes has had extensive plastic surgery to repair the damage to his face; he still has a few scars left, but his vocal cords cannot be repaired.

When shown out of his uniform, Snake Eyes is a six feet two inch tall Caucasian with an athletic build, blonde hair, and blue eyes. He has a pet wolf named Timber that has appeared several times in toys, comics, and animation.

Snake Eyes has been shown in many of the continuities of comics and animated series to at some point being romantically involved with fellow G.I. Joe member Master Sergeant Shana M. O'Hara, a.k.a. Scarlett, and he has several apprentices, including Ophelia (deceased), Kamakura, Tiger Claw, and Jinx.

His personal quote is: "Move with the wind, and you will never be heard."

As you can see, I'm learning. Thank you Marvel Comics for creating a world and stories that connect with the human experience. And for feeding and expanding the imagination of the young ones. Thank you for introducing me to Snake Eyes, Ortiz kids!

No comments: