Monday, June 13, 2011

I Looked Up

This past weekend I was thinking about moments in life that have taken my breath away. Moments of sheer awe. And I decided I would share a few with you. I think God uses these moments. In big ways. Maybe not right away. If not...definitely later. Fact is, He will.

I visited Florence (Firenze, which means "flowering in bloom") Italy when I was eighteen years old. And it quickly became my ultimate favorite city in the world. Back then, I was taking it all in. Something in me knew it really really liked something that existed there. Something in me felt alive and real there. As I look back on my visit, I know there was one specific building that just awed me. I remember having no words. The minutes froze as I gazed in wonder. And looked up.

For a girl who grew up in the rural farm country of Minnesota, this place was far from what I knew. Immediately, my eyes were drawn up---to the ceiling of the Baptistry.



I stood there in amazement, allured by the shiny gold, the stories being told, the intricate detail, and the significant and deep meaning of everything surrounding me. Time stopped for about two hours as I just stood there. No photos were taken. I just looked. I'd never seen anything like it before. Something was drawing me in.



I remember thinking to myself, "the gold...it's something about the gold." Astounding. For some reason these moments had a profound effect on me. I can go back there in my mind. There is something special about that place. The way the light shines in to that space allows a person to see the ceiling with unique perspective.





Not only is the ceiling a spectacular piece of art and story--but it is theology. It's history. Many people have been enlightened and inspired in that place.



The doors on the Baptistry also drew my attention. I took pictures of them, I remember. Gold again. Bronzed. Shiny. And doors--meaningful. I know there is much more detail in why that place is a tourist attraction. But, I am a woman of experience. I always have been. I like to use all of my senses to take in life.



I like moments in time that take my breath away. I like not having words sometimes. I like being drawn to beauty. I like ceilings. I like doors. I like space. I like churches. I like light.

Now, nineteen years later--and a lot of life experience and education later--I know more about why God opened my eyes in a big way to the beauty of the Baptistry...the shiny mosaic on a ceiling and the "doors" that are called the "Gates of Paradise."

Here are some links to more facts and history. Enjoy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Baptistery

http://florence.arounder.com/it/chiese/battistero-di-firenze/interno-battistero.html

http://youtube/uJzZmQuFbhU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence

No comments: