Anyways, I've already had a few people ask to hear the story behind this painting, and usually when I finish a piece, I write about it. This painting is the first painting I've given away. It was a gift for a very special friend of mine. It was a unique experience painting something for another person. I totally enjoyed it. As I paint, and even before I paint, I pray. And this painting experience was so awesome---because this is the depiction of my prayers over my friend's life. And I got to put it all on a canvas and let them come alive.
I titled this painting, the fourth in my collection, "Vida" ---Spanish for life. The process took about five days. And many of you know that I listen to special music when I get into art mode. For the most part, I totally listened to Paris Cafe accordion music and Coldplay.
OK. So onto the themes:
Blue. This is the main color I wanted on this piece. Blue is one of my favorite colors. And one of the main colors I think of when I think of him---is blue. His eyes are blue, and I think our eyes reflect our souls. So this is a picture of the blue that I pray flows inside of him and continues to grow throughout his years on this earth. Blue is a calming color. It also communicates depth and peace. It is often described as the color of music.
Water. I also knew that water would be a central part of this creation. I love the flow of water. It symbolizes so much life to me. There is also deep spiritual significance in water. Jesus is described as "Living Water." Water is also connected with baptism, healing, and eternal life. I also think of the movement of the Holy Spirit in connection with water. Water is an integral part of our existence.
Color. I wanted this painting to pop color. Often I pray that my friends would experience a "colored" life---meaning that they could experience the depths of life on all levels---in relationship with others--and mainly with God. Color signifies the fullness of life to me. I wanted it to feel alive with energy.
Gold. I love Renaissance art. I love gold accents in art. I decided I would outline the middle color of the river with gold on this painting. For a couple different reasons. First of all, it is the center and it symbolizes the River of Life that Revelation describes in Chapter 22. It is a piece of eternity.
Seven. This is an important number to me. There are seven paths that make up the blue river in this painting. There are also seven children in my friend's family.
Diptych. This painting is once again a diptych. Two canvases connected in the middle with hinges. I love this style of painting---it is connected. There is deep purpose in "remaining connected." Especially to Jesus.
Black outline. The colors are outlined with black to give this painting a stained glass/mosaic feel. We are all broken pieces of a beautiful design. I love incorporating this effect into my paintings.
Red. As I prayed over this painting for my friend the only other color that kept coming to me was red. I think it's because he's a very physical person and represents energy to me. Red and blue are my favorite colors so it made sense that red would go on the painting. My friend is also filled with passion for the Lord. He also knows in a very real way the sacrifice that Jesus made for him. Thus, red is appropriate as a symbol on a painting named "Vida."
Growth and Transformation. I knew that this would also be represented on the painting somehow as it is our continuing journey as believers. Green pastures, bursting vines of transformed life, and sanctification are painted with the green.
Eternity. For a while I thought this painting might be titled, "Eternity" because in so many ways that is what it represents---the process and even the result of being restored. There is a hope depicted in this painting that is very alive. My friend had a dear loved one pass away in the past couple of years, also---and she is in the presence of Jesus now---and thus, I also thought a vision of eternity was appropriate. I believe that even though we are still on earth---we have a huge piece of eternity in us now---we just have to access it and LIVE FULLY.
Life. Part of the reason I titled this painting what I did was because the friend I painted this for has taught me to enjoy life, slow down, take it all in. He probably might not even know the extent of how much he reflects this with his life. But, I like it. And it's been very healthy for me. The spiritual significance of life obviously is connected with the title, too. They go together. The promise and the actual experience of it now.
Promise. The painting also symbolizes promise and covenant to me. Prayers are answered. He is our hope. And someday we will be with Him forever. This is the river that is in us now. This is also the river from Revelation.
Some of my favorite Scripture and the core of this painting is Chapter 22. I had to memorize this all for my Theology IV class at Talbot School of Theology-----it lives within me because I had to write parts of it every week for a semester!
Revelation 21 (1-8)
A New Heaven and a New Earth
1 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
Revelation 22***The main theme of this painting!
Eden Restored
1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.I hope you enjoy the painting. It was a blessing to paint. It is a painting of hope and life.

No comments:
Post a Comment