Tuesday, August 09, 2011

ποίημα

Part I--The Story Behind Painting #3

The first part of this painting's inspiration was explained briefly in yesterday's post. And I'm realizing that I'm going to have to break this down in parts--because it's just too much to put in one post! It's all good. Anyways, as I pondered what to write about first--it was super clear. Poetry. It was the start of what inspired me to do this one. And, imagine this...I heard Dr. Chris Grace speak on a unique aspect of this all about one month into the painting. I wanted to share pieces of his message--because they are integral, real, and meaningful. And, they helped me realize why parts of this exact process were important to me.

So...ποίημα..in the Greek Lexicon it's 4161--poiēma. The definition is as follows: a thing made, a work, workmanship, the works of God as Creator, masterpiece, work of art.

So there I was in Calvary Chapel not knowing what my ears were about to hear. I sat down to listen to Dr. Grace share for the next hour, and he began to talk about things such as identity, calling, your roots and where you came from, your story, and your gifts. Immediately I was drawn in. Next he said, "WE are poems." Double take. Did he just say we are poems? Yes he did. He continued, "We are God's workmanship. We are God's poem." There it was. I got it. Light bulbs came on inside. The writer I am, the dreamer I am, the lover I am, the free spirit I am, the seeker of beauty I am, the emotion packed human being I am, the child of God I am, the romantic I am, the thinker I am, the Type A-organized person living in chaos desiring order I am, the broken yet healing and growing person I am, and the poet that I am all seemed to come together in that one moment in a way it never has before. I understood. I know what it is to write creatively and freely. I know what it is to write from deep places of flowing words and emotions. I know what it is to write in pattern and design, but still filled with unique freedom to communicate from within. What a beautiful thought...and reality. This is how we were made. We are products of this kind of process. And honestly, to grasp that or even live into that mystery will take you on quite the journey.

Dr. Grace was quick to remind us that God is faithful. Part of His desire is that we live with our minds connected to our hearts. He said that it would help us to "live out our poem." There is a solid grounding that comes in the process of integration and becoming a whole person. A distinct light and truth are formed within that you then have to share with others. You also have a new outlook on health that will affect all relationships that you are in/enter into at different points in life. It is part of God's plan.

He continued to share about pain, grief, loss, and trials in life. This was not new for me, because I've experienced it, will continue to live it in some way, will journey with friends and loved ones through it, have been educated on it, and it's part of life. I'm learning and seeing with my very eyes how God uses it. Dr. Grace reflected, "If you live in this truth and light in the middle of these types of experiences, power will go out from you and people will be healed. Your love will impact." He continued, "In the middle of tears is where the dance starts and joy begins."

There is design and rhythm in poetry. I believe there is intricate design and passionate rhythm in us--it just comes out in so many ways. Dr. Grace challenged us to live in that unique space where design/rhythm and free flow/mystery collide. God has something for us there. I agree.

I took all of his words to heart as I continued on with my painting. Knowing that words from E.E. Cummings, flow, design, emotion, and a piece of God inside of me were inspiring me in the color and movement and lines and curves on a canvas. The One who knows me best was writing another stanza of the poem called my life. I followed the rhythm and mystery and ended up someplace new.

No comments: