OK! Two posts today. The previous "Trains" post was written last summer for a different purpose, but I wanted to include it, because I've thought back to it as I dream towards the trip to Europe I'm currently planning.
This week I finished with the busiest season for me at work. And you better believe after a little sleep and a few days to come down from all the stress I was carrying--I totally started thinking about the vacation. I am super excited about this trip. I haven't had a real vacation since before I started graduate school in 2004 except for a trip to London with friends over Spring Break '08. A few different ideas have been on the table for this "celebration" trip. The first idea a few years back was Hawaii. I've always dreamed of just taking a trip to beautiful Hawaii...and just relaxing...Maui, Kauai--beaches, hiking, pools, hulas, etc...you know the whole Hawaii package. I did plan to go right after graduation, but was unemployed for awhile...so that put the kibosh on that trip. Bummer. So, I gave myself to where God had me. I found a job--and I worked. And, for the most part, vacation time has been spent to fly places to see friends and to spend time with my family in the Midwest. I think I'll save Hawaii for the honeymoon--if and when that happens! Somewhere along the way, though, I said--I want to do a trip that I really want to do. An adventure.
The idea of this trip was born. Destination: Paris. Other destinations recently added: Southern France and Southern Spain. Why these places? Even though I lived in Spain from 1991-1992 during the year I was a foreign exchange student--we saw all of Italy, Portugal, some of France--but not Paris. I love the history of art, European flair, fashion, art, wine, etc--and there's something about Paris that I feel like I have to experience. I'll see when I get there. And I'll write about it. I also want to take a train through Southern France and spend some time in wine country at vineyards. I want to learn about that area. I want to learn about wine. I want to taste their wines. I want to absorb what life is like there. I want to relax there.


I will tell you about it. The final part of the trip=Spain. My Spanish family, the CarrĂon Camporro Family reside in Alicante, Spain--on the Costa Blanca. I haven't seen them since 1992. It's been too long!



So I will hopefully be reuniting with them and spending some time with them in Southern Spain along the Mediterranean Coast. When I lived in Spain, we lived in Northern Spain in the province of Asturias--they have moved--so this will be a new location for me.

I am excited about that. Spain is such a big country. I didn't see much of Andalucia and the southern parts--this time I will!
So--when is this trip? How are the plans coming? Well, a few things are still up in the air as far as timing--but I'm hoping for mid to late October maybe. I have been researching airfare this week. I have some miles to use so that is sooooo nice! And, I have been saving for this trip for about a year. It's nice that I know people to stay with! I hope to fly into Paris, take trains to Southern France, and then make my way into Spain and head further south. Then I will fly back to LAX from Madrid. I am really looking forward to taking in all that I missed when I was younger. I feel like I will see Europe through different eyes this time--19 years later. Where has the time gone?!?!
I will keep you all updated! It's going to be a fun trip! If anyone wants to join in the adventure--let me know! I am open to having anyone join in the fun and exploration of new pieces of Europe! As far as I can tell, it should be pretty affordable since lodging is covered. I plan to spend a lot of time putting my photography skills to the test. There will be much to capture, experience, and remember. I am a traveler. I always will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment