Who knew I was a painter?!?! God did. Back in February I started incorporating Saturday night “art dates” into my life. Sometimes friends would come to the house and paint with me. Sometimes it was just me and God and music. It was so good and healthy for me to take this space in my week to just BE and CREATE.
It has been a space of healing. And becoming. I can’t really explain it in words. But I’m learning that sometimes in life we don’t need words or explanations or answers. It’s ok.
When I paint, I paint what’s inside me. Now that has been a super cool experience! I’ve also been learning a ton about creating. And many times, especially when I paint on a black canvas---which is actually one of my favorite mediums—I have been forced to think about God creating this masterpiece of a world/universe—bringing light and color for enjoyment and pleasure with unique design and purpose.
“Seeing” with new eyes and perspective has also been introduced into my life through these art dates. How do we see? What do we see? What do we miss? What do we see that others don’t? Do we see within? Can we see in the dark? Do we see what we want to see? More of that on another day. For now—know that there is an artist—a creator—in all of us. Some people don’t believe it. Believe and embrace, people!!!
Here are a few of my favorite artist quotes right now:
"In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art." --Rumi
AND
“If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: "I am here to live out loud” ................
-- Emile Zola
(thanks Rach for sharing this one with me!)
And a photo that Shannon Leith took of a current work in progress:
No comments:
Post a Comment