
"Warriors of light always have a certain gleam in their eyes."
(Paulo Coelho)
"The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides."
(Audrey Hepburn)
Eyes. We learned what they were when we were small. We pointed to the parts of our face and everyone would cheer. As I've grown, eyes have become important to me. And I think God has done quite the miracle through the creation of our eyes. I decided to look up the definition of eyes in an online dictionary just for fun.
An organ of vision or of light sensitivity. The faculty of seeing; vision. The faculty of intellectual or aesthetic perception or appreciation. Close observation.
This is the organ that God gave us to see. The idea of the eye can be seen in many Bible verses and even in our everyday conversation. Our eyes and our ability to see connect us to deep places within ourselves. I think they say a lot about light and even perhaps they convey what is going on inside of us.
Have you ever had someone look you straight in the eyes when you are talking to them? They hold your gaze? Do you look people right in the eyes when you are talking to them? Or do you look away? Why? What does it feel like when someone is looking deep into your eyes?
Maybe I'm weird, but I notice people's eyes. Right away. They tell me a lot about a person. I've been searching through quotes online to find some cool eye quotes to use in this post AND THERE ARE SO MANY--TOO MANY--and, quite honestly, we've probably already heard a bunch of them.
I think eyes are one of the coolest organs that God gave us. They help us to really see. Not only physically. They are connected to our souls. I actually think that our eyes reflect and mirror and communicate our souls to another. Our eyes shine light from within. They show beauty. They speak confidence. They connect lovers. They free sadness. They empathize. They understand. They hold another without words or touch. They laugh. They dance. They are confused. They are afraid. Our eyes communicate. They observe. They are conversing with our hearts. Where God resides.

People have always told me that I have pretty eyes. They shine. They smile. I finally believe them. And I can see it. Especially when light shines in them--they are a cool shade of green. I've read that green eyes in women are few and far between.
On New Year's Eve 2010, God gave me seven key and theme words for 2011. I heard them all very clearly. The seventh and last word was "see." Doesn't even surprise me in the least bit. This year I have been learning to see through different eyes in so many different circumstances. I've also been challenged to really open my eyes and see what is right in front of me every single day--and to see what God is doing. I am so glad. He has opened my eyes--to so much. Really.
I plan to write more about seeing in the future posts. It has been a growing interest to me as I've been learning more about photography and light. And even my own experience of life. Today I was at a luncheon, and the following devotional was shared. I knew I was going to write about eyes today, so it fits perfectly. Enjoy.
*******
I Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written,
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—
When we were in the womb we had eyes, but there was little to focus on. Our eyes had rods and cones to distinguish shapes and colors, yet there were no shades or colors to see. We were in total darkness. But we had eyes that were meant to see light. Our eyes were the evidence that beyond the womb was a whole other world, still yet to be seen.
As we dwell in this world, our hearts cannot be satisfied by the things they see here. Deep inside, we know there is more...and we long for it. This life is Heaven's womb.
No matter what this world gives us, it can never satisfy what the eyes of our hearts long to see. It is here that we are being formed, and prepared to enter the realm of the Heavenly. Don't be discouraged that this life can't give us all we want. It is a reminder of our inheritance yet to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment