Two years ago I took a three week solitude retreat. No technology or people (except a therapist) for 21 days. I remember what I missed most during those days--music. I remember my introduction back into "the world." I sat in the Seattle airport with my iPod shuffle cranked. That specific experience told me how important music is to my soul.
Another reason why I love music=it communicates emotion. It is beautiful on many many different and unique and creative levels. Music relaxes. It also makes you want to get up and move. There is some sort of music for almost every emotion I think.
The movement. We dance to music. There is freedom and connection in it.
One person in my life that I love dancing with is my dad. As many of you know, we have a lot of German blood in our family--and that is most definitely seen at any Glaeser wedding---when the requested polkas come on---and all the Glaesers hit the floor and rip it up. Honestly, it is quite amazing. Ever since I was little I would dance at least one polka with my dad. He loves to dance. And he leads well...I just have to follow. The polka is a fast dance---you have to be ready to just let someone swing you around the dancefloor let me tell you! Anyways, that is one memory that I have of my dad--and it's a good and endearing one.
This is one of my favorite polkas. Brace yourselves!
Last year on my birthday, I gave my parents a homework assignment. I asked them to write me a little background about the time surrounding my birth. It was awesome--and I'm so glad I have it as a memory. Sometimes it's powerful to have a recollection of a time that you can't remember because you weren't able to at that point in life. It's also good to have your birth recorded in your parents' words to hear their experience of life from their perspective. Anyways--I've always known that Dad gave me a special gift when I was born. And I still have it to this day--37 years later.
My mom put it like this: "Life in our home now revolved around our little girl. When we brought you home and I took you into your room for the first time, I saw your music box sitting on the dresser. This is something dad had done – all on his own. It was so special and I remember bawling like crazy. He just put his arms around us and said that he loved his family." You see, these are the moments we need to hear about.
I have the music box. There are times when my mom has kept it (because I've traveled and moved around a lot.) And there have been times when I've kept it near. Last time I was home, I asked if I could have it again--and it's been sitting on my bookshelf since then. I listen to it every now and then.
I finally tracked down the song that it plays. It is from the Nutcracker Suite...Waltz of the Flowers. Imagine that. I love that it plays that song. Absolutely love it. Flowers are VERY significant to me. God knew.
Here is the music:
Also, there is a picture of a little girl on the music box. She is wearing a red dress and is carrying a backpack. She is a journeying and adventurous girl. She is well traveled. Like me.

Thanks Dad for all of your love. You know all the ups and downs of my life. You've watched me grow. You've worried for me. You've prayed for me. You've helped me. You've made me laugh. You've cheered me on when life was hard. You've danced with me. And you are a part of who I am today. Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment