Thursday, June 02, 2011

Beauty

P-U-L-C-H-R-I-T-U-D-E.
This is the word that eleven year old, Akeelah, spells to become co-champion of the National Spelling Bee in the movie "Akeelah and the Bee." It is derived from Latin and means beauty. Tonight I watched this movie for the first time. The movie was wonderful and the story communicates much. I will let it soak in for now--because I loved how it ended--and I want to think more on it. I'm a thinker. I'm also a Spelling Bee Champion. A little known fact. But true. Akeelah is an amazing representation of beauty and heart and journey--even at her young age. I think there's a little bit of her in all of us.

The following quote is well-known because it is mentioned and used as part of the theme of the storyline of the movie. I remember reading this quote about four years ago as I was studying for a Talbot exam. It has impacted me greatly and I wanted to share it today:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." (Marianne Williamson)

No comments: